Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Worlds of Arthur: Facts & Fictions of the Dark Ages


Worlds of Arthur:  Facts & Fictions of the Dark Ages by Guy Halsall

Like many others, I am interested in the legend of King Arthur.  Naturally, when I saw the opportunity to read another book about him, I was intrigued.  Unfortunately, I was a bit disappointed.

As Guy Halsall writes, there is no evidence of the existence of King Arthur, but there is nothing to prove he did not exist.  All in all, that is a valid argument.  As the author sets out to break the book down into 4 sections, or “Worlds”, he states valid points from the traditional ideas.  Great detail is written regarding the different civilizations, religions, customs, jewelry, pottery, immigration routes and other points.  Arthur, on the other hand, has a few brief mentions throughout this lengthy read.

If you are interested in the history of this general time frame, while expanding out somewhat, then this is a good read for you.  If you are looking to read about the legendary King, whether or not he existed, this is not what you are looking for.

While I did find this greatly educational, I was hoping for more.  Reading this, I felt as if I was in a lecture hall in college, not that that is a bad thing.  As I mentioned, it is very educational, and not in a boring way.  Overall the book is very well written and researched.

No comments:

Post a Comment